Korea Diary | My Love From Another Star Set (Day 20, Part 2)

6:36:00 PM mandy 0 Comments

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP

As I mentioned in the previous post, our next stop on the itinerary for the day was Dongdaemun Design Plaza or DDP. It is a very interesting place in Seoul that is part shopping complex, part art gallery, part exhibit space, and part park.

Visually it is an outstanding space to look at. There are so many levels that weave from one building to the next yet nothing is straight. Every part of DDP is just curvy and flowy. It is so architecturally different juxtaposed against all the massive erect skyscrapers that are the norm.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit

The reason why Bestie C wanted to visit DDP was for the My Love From Another Star Exhibit. This was the hit Korean drama of 2014. She found out that it was open whilst our stay in Seoul and had it top on her To-Do list. She was (is still) such big fan of the show during the airing so I wasn't surprised she wanted to see it.

I had started the K-drama prior to the study abroad trip but never got to finishing it. (In fact, almost 2 years later and I think I am still a few episodes away from completing the show.) Despite not being as big of a fan as she was, I couldn't say no to the opportunity to see a television show set. Behind the scenes stuff really fascinates me.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Entry hallway

I believe each ticket was ₩15,000 for a full-priced adult entry. Before we got to see any of the sets and costumes, visitors had to take a quick stroll through the celestial lit hallway. Almost as if we're being transporting to another universe in order to see Do Min Joon and his world. Get it? If not, I'll try to give a concise snippet of the show. (I might not do the beloved show justice.)

Do Min Joon was the lead male character in the Korean drama. The premise of the whole show was based on how he has to adapt to life in Earth as an alien who landed in Korea centuries ago. He tries his best not to meddle with humans since it had led to ill consequences before.

Cheon Song Yi was the fabulous celebrity & actress female lead character who happened to find her way into the secluded Do Min Joon's life by suddenly becoming his neighbor.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Filming equipment
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Do Min Joon's apartment entrance hallway Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Do Min Joon's apartment living room
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Do Min Joon's apartment star gazing area
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Do Min Joon's apartment study Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Do Min Joon's apartment college certificates

The My Love From Another Star Exhibit showed the two main apartments featured in the show. One being Do Min Joon's and the other, of course, Cheon Song Yi's.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Do Min Joon's apartment bedroom

An embarrassing photo of me on the set of the drama. I was really there! This was Do Min Joon's bedroom.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Cheon Song Yi's apartment entry hallway Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit -Cheon Song Yi's apartment kitchen dining room
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Cheon Song Yi's apartment living room

Note to self: be less awkward in front of cameras.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Cheon Song Yi's apartment shoes display Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit -Cheon Song Yi's apartment closet
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Cheon Song Yi's apartment bedroom

I've never seen film or television sets outside of what Universal Studios California shows it's visitors. I was surprised by how detailed and finished both houses were. I would have imagined ceilings and lights, especially high ones, to be pretty bare bone since they probably won't show up on camera. Both apartments felt like it could be moved in to immediately.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Dongdaemun Design Plaza DDP - SBS My Love From Another Star Exhibit - Above view of set

If anyone is interested in how it looked like on the "outside" like I was. Sets continue to amaze me.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Gyudon from some Japanese restaurant in Myeongdong

We found ourselves in Myeongdong for dinner that night since Bestie C had a dessert spot in mind. I forgot how we ended up choosing this particular Japanese restaurant. The gyudon, or beef rice bowl, was alright. It wasn't my favorite of everything we had in Korea but it wasn't terrible either.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Myeongdong Softree Ice Cream - Store front Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Myeongdong Softree Ice Cream - Special menu
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Myeongdong Softree Ice Cream - Honey chip vanilla soft serve ice cream

The dessert we were on the hunt for was this soft service ice cream that was topped with actual honeycomb. It is called the Honey Chips Ice Cream at Softree for ₩4,800. I think this was one of those trendy foods that was super popular the summer we were in Korea. Bestie C read about it or saw it somewhere on the interwebs and wanted to try too. (As you can tell, I was usually not the informed one about what was cool in Seoul at the time.)

Such a pairing is something I hadn't seen before. In fact, honeycombs were completely unfamiliar to me. Other than knowing bees made honeycombs and honey is put there by the buzzers, my knowledge of it as food ended there. Who knew it could be eaten?

Having soft served ice cream with honey is so simple but very refreshing and light. I know that sounds counterintuitive since ice cream is supposed to be heavy and creamy but it just tasted light. Since it was a lighter honey, the flavor wasn't overpowering either.

The honeycomb part of it was interesting to say the least. Biting into it led to a burst of honey oozing into all corners of my mouth. But since honeycomb is a type of wax, I was continuously chewing on it until all the honey melted away. I believe the honeycomb wax was edible but after all the honey dissolved, I chose to spit the waxy remnants out.

0 comments: