Korea Diary | Han River At Night (Day 22, Part 2)

10:33:00 PM mandy 0 Comments

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Shinsegae Gangnam - entrance

The day didn't end at just pedaling bikes and boats. We finished the rest of Day 22 at a much slower pace, by eating and then watching the water show at Banpo Bridge.

Shinsegae Gangnam was a huge high-end department store that was directly en route to the bridge. We had originally stopped by to walk around and kill time until the night time water show. But seeing the Food Court sign had us roam a new area of the store.

Korean department stores are very unique in the sense that they have a very wide variety of food vendors. Typically the entire lower level of the department stores consist of food related goods. A portion will have proper restaurant stalls as would any food court. Another portion is for the grab and go foods and snacks (bakery, doughnuts, cakes, ice creams, etc.). Some department stores might even have another portion that is a supermarket.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Shinsegae Gangnam - Food court ramen

We thoroughly walked through the entire food floor during our time at Shinsegae. Our dinner was bought from the restaurants section. It seems we chose to dine Japanese that night.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Shinsegae Gangnam - Food court Azabu Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Shinsegae Gangnam - Food court Azabu fish bread
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Shinsegae Gangnam - Food court Azabu sweet potato fish bread inside

Whenever I talked about poop bread in the previous posts, I also mentioned something called taiyaki. That is of course the Japanese name for it, in Korean it is boongeobbang 붕어빵 or fish bread. Both are typically a pancake-type bread filled with sweetened red bean. It was my first time seeing fish bread filled with sweet potato so I had to buy one to try from the Azabu stall.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Shinsegae Gangnam - Food court cute animal cakes

None of us bought a cake but I really wish we could have. How cute are these animal shaped cakes?

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Banpo Han River Park 반포 한강공원 - sidewalk direction sign Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Banpo Han River Park 반포 한강공원 - direction sign

The route from Shinsegae to Banpo Bridge was not a short one. We got a little too excited with all the goodies at the food court and ended up having to stay later than expected at the bridge. Luckily we only had to wait a little bit before the last water show of the night started.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Banpo Han River Park 반포 한강공원 - Banpo Bridge Moonlight Rainbow Fountain 반포대교 달빛무지개분수

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Banpo Han River Park 반포 한강공원 - Banpo Bridge Moonlight Rainbow Fountain 반포대교 달빛무지개분수

Most of the photos I took in Korea taken with my iPhone. Even though I had brought along my DSLR, I didn't end up using it as much as I thought. On the rare occasion that I chose to bring it out with me, it wasn't an easy photo-op. I learned that it was very difficult to take photos in the dark. I think the moving water jets made it that much harder for my camera to pick a focal point too. Of all the photos I snapped, only a few were meagerly savable on post-editing. Let's just say my pictures don't do the rainbow bridge justice. But if you Google something along the lines of Banpo rainbow bridge, you could see better versions of how pretty the rainbow fountain was like.

0 comments: