Korea Diary | Movie Night Thrills (Day 40)

11:56:00 AM mandy 0 Comments

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Deoksugung 덕수궁 Seokjojeon 석조전 Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Deoksugung 덕수궁
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Deoksugung 덕수궁 blooming trees

Another Thursday meant another class trip for my Asian art history class. This time, it was to Deoksugung 덕수궁. Our professor's original plan was to go to The Leeum, Samsung Museum of Art. However, an unexpected closure at the time brought us to Deoksugung instead.

Somehow I overslept that morning and had a mid-morning freakout. I had missed the start of class time by (at least) 30 minutes or more, which meant I completely miss the scheduled gathering time. I was faced with another crisis after rushing to get ready and left the dorms: the subway station was at least a 15-minute walk/jog away and taxis didn't stop right by the area closest to the dorms. I ultimately chose to wait for a taxi at the designated stand near the Yonsei Severance Hospital to try and save some time. Luckily the ride was only a short few minutes since all the palaces are relatively nearby to Yonsei University. If we were in any other city, a taxi wouldn't even be an option due to pricing but in Seoul the fares were affordable.

I had to purchase my own tickets in order to reunite with the class inside the palace walls. Even though this palace was the smallest of the 3 that we visited on our trips, I didn't find the class until I made a full circle of the place. Turns out I was so late and the palace was so small that they were already finished with their tour/lesson. Despite the rushed experience, I was still able to get a quick look at the structures. It was interesting to see more Western-style buildings here as Gyeongbokgung and Changdeokgung were very traditional. The museum in the mansion-esque structure was closed for renovation at the time.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Sinchon Hyundai Department Store food court sujebi 수제비

By the time we got back to Sinchon I was starving. Bestie C and I found our way to Hyundai Department Store once again. This visit I opted to try something I had only seen videos on YouTube of and that was sujebi 수제비 or dough flake/hand torn noodles. Maybe the bowl of kalgooksoo I had left too strong of an impression on me but this bowl of sujebi wasn't all too exciting.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - KLI Classmate chalkboard art

The highlight of the day that all my friends were patiently waiting for was the impending 4D movie experience awaiting us at the end of the night. A fellow student helped many others purchase tickets in advance to see Guardians of the Galaxy. Needless to say that was all I could think about throughout Korean class that afternoon.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Sinchon Naemooban Sikdang 내무반 식당 - Meat grilling Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Sinchon Naemooban Sikdang 내무반 식당 - Scallion bean sprout side dish

Our movie was scheduled for 11:10PM. Korean BBQ was a unanimous choice for dinner. Filling our bellies with meat would help us last through the night. We ended up at Naemooban Sikdang 내무반 식당 that was along the way to the CGV theater. Even though this place wasn't AYCE, I think we still left pretty full without spending an obscene amount. The cuts of meat were definitely tastier and chunkier and the bean sprouts & scallion side dish was love.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Baskin Robbins super large ice cream cup

With some time left to kill, our next stop was to a Baskin Robbins nearby. Our selection of choice? Probably one of the largest ice cream cup bucket that they offered! Since this size was calculated by weight, we went a little crazy with our selection of mishmash flavors we all enjoyed and wanted to try.

Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Sinchon CGV Movie Theater Cinema Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Sinchon CGV Movie Theater Cinema - Transformers statue figure
Seoul, Korea - Summer Study Abroad 2014 - Sinchon CGV Movie Theater Cinema - Guardians of the Galaxy in 4DX

11:00PM came and we were finally at the Sinchon CGV theater. Other than the short Shrek 4D film ride at Universal, this was the only time I watched anything in 4D. It was something else to be sprayed at with water and perfumes, swooshed to and fro in the chairs, and bashed on by the massage like knobs every time an equivalent happened in the movie. While I only experienced it for a few minutes on the Shrek ride, this movie was a full-length feature film. Theater-going, at least for action movies, was forever changed for me that night.

0 comments: