Retractable Eyeliner Comparison - L'Oreal Matte-Matic versus Revlon Colorstay

12:12:00 AM mandy 0 Comments

lavlilacs Retractable Eyeliner Comparison Review - L'Oreal Matte-Matic versus Revlon Colorstay

Sharp, clean, and precise eyeliner looks are a wonder to see but require much skill and patience to master. While it is a makeup goal I would like to achieve some time in my lifetime, I am satisfied with my current liner skills for a day-to-day routine. Having the right formulated product, ideally long-wear & smudge-proof, and delivery mechanism, best if retractable, is definitely key to keeping the morning process concise and stress-free.

I don't typically keep multiple eyeliners open at once but since I happened to have two similar ones in hand I thought I would compare how L'Oreal's Matte-Matic in Deep Brown fairs against Revlon's Colorstay Eye Liner in Black Brown. Both have lofty claims, generally good reviews, and are affordable; what's to lose?

lavlilacs L'Oreal Matte-Matic in 513 Deep Brown packaging

lavlilacs Revlon Colorstay Eye Liner 202 Black Brown packaging

Descriptions:

L'Oreal
Rich matte intensity that lasts up to 24HR. Built-in sharpener for buidable precise lines. Waterproof. Smudge resistant. Gel cream formula for smooth application. Soft & easy application. Opthamologist tested. Do not use in eyelid.

Revlon
Rich, intense color. Wears up to 16 hours. Use smudger to blend color. For a precise line, gently sharpen using pull-out sharpener at base of pencil. Glides on smoothly. Waterproof. Opthamologist tested.

Ingredients
L'Oreal
DIMETHICONE, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, SYNTHETIC WAX, PHENYLPROPYLDIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, POLYETHYLENE, HEXAMETHYLDISILOXANE, DISILOXANE, POLYHYDROXYSTEARIC ACID, CAPRYLYL TRIMETHICONE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, SILICA, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, TALC, LECITHIN, TIN OXIDE, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, CITRIC ACID. +/- MAY CONTAIN // PEUT CONTENIR: CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, IRON OXIDES – MICA - CI 77891, TITANIUM DIOXIDE - CI 77000, ALUMINUM POWDER - CI 77510, FERRIC AMMONIUM FERROCYANIDE - CI 77007, ULTRAMARINES - CI 77510, FERRIC FERROCYANIDE - CI 75470, CARMINE

Revlon
CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, OZOKERITE, TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, POLYETHYLENE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, CANDELILLA CERA ((EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX) CIRE DE CANDELILLA), TOCOPHEROL, SORBIC ACID, BHT, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, (MICA), (IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)), (TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891)), (BLACK 2 (CI 77266)), (FERRIC FERROCYANIDE (CI 77510)), (CARMINE (CI 77470)), (ULTRAMARINES (CI 77007))

L'Oreal eyeliner 0.01 oz / 0.28 g
Revlon eyeliner 0.01 oz / 0.28 g

(Retail prices vary greatly depending on the city/town)
CVS/Walgreens: USD ~$9-10.00
Target: USD ~$6-8.00

lavlilacs L'Oreal Matte-Matic in 513 Deep Brown opened

lavlilacs Revlon Colorstay Eye Liner 202 Black Brown opened

Packaging

Both are retractable (twist-up-and-down) pens. I didn't show it in the photo but L'Oreal and Revlon both include a sharpener at the end of the eyeliner pen; just give the bottom a slight tug and the contraption will reveal itself. The only packaging difference between the two is Revlon has a sponge tip smudger.

lavlilacs lavlilacs Retractable Eyeliner Comparison Review - L'Oreal Matte-Matic versus Revlon Colorstay swatches

Color, Texture, Finish, & Scent

L'Oreal's Matte-Matic is drier and waxier, almost like that of a crayon. It is very crumbly and tends to tug at my eyelid skin when I go to draw a line. The liner has a tendency to snap off if I apply just a tiny bit too much pressure.

Revlon Colorstay Eye Liner is creamier. It glides easily without any drag.

Both have no scent and dry down to a matte finish. Both can appear similarly dark if drawn over a couple of times. If not, Matte-Matic's Deep Brown is slightly lighter in color and has more red undertones when compared to Colorstay's Black Brown.

A freshly drawn Matte-Matic line doesn't smudge too much. Colorstay, on the other hand, does smudge and quite a lot at that. When water and rubbing get thrown into the mix, both smear and lose their pigmentation. I would say both are water-resistant to a certain degree but not waterproof. Both liners wash off well with just cleansing oil/balm by the end of the day. However, fresh liner needs a bit of help from eye-lip makeup remover.

lavlilacs Retractable Eyeliner Comparison Review - L'Oreal Matte-Matic versus Revlon Colorstay applied

How I Apply

Draw a line as close to the lash line as possible. Slightly wing the outer edges.

Thoughts & Recommendations

My eyelid space is typically dry after cleansing. It gets oilier throughout the day. The biggest issues I have is with eyeliner and eyeshadow smudging from the upper lashline to the lower, especially on the outer corners because I tend to squint and close my eyes often. Plus, my eyelids are currently asymmetrical; one side has two folds while the other has only one, unfortunately causing the latter lashline to fold right into the crease which often causes creasing. 

When I first started using both these eyeliners, I thought I could confidently say I liked the Matte-Matic more purely due to its drier formula. It was a little difficult to draw a line but not impossible. The most important benefit was how little it transferred and smudged onto my lower lash line at the end of the day.

Then it seems the L'Oreal liner dried out more and more in the tube as the months went on. It started to snap and crumble as I tried to draw on eyeliner; had it happened once because I twisted the product too far I wouldn't have had such a big change of heart, but it occurred multiple times no matter the length of liner I twist out. While not very noticeable it does also dry and create specks/fall-out throughout the day which tend to end up under my eyes.

My feelings for the Colorstay liner has more or less been the same since I first started using it. I appreciate how smoothly it glides onto my lids. I like how pigmented the line is with just one stroke. But I absolutely hate how easily it transfers. If I don't set my eye area well with powder pre-eyeliner, the line would crease. If I didn't set the eyeliner with powder after drawing, the liner would crease. If I opened my eyelids too early before the eyeliner had a chance to set, the liner would also crease. After a long day of wear, surprise surprise, the liner would smudge onto my lower lashline.

That being said, Revlon actually isn't the worst eyeliner I have tried. Colorstay has fairly good staying power as long as I take those extra steps. It doesn't hold up all day because my eyelids do get oily and watery throughout the day but it doesn't give me panda eyes within the first hour of wear.

I cannot say if the L'Oreal liner would last up to 24 hours but I have had both on for close to 16-hour occasions before and they have held up well, granted my eyes didn't get watery or itchy at all. Matte-Matic and Colorstay lose their color intensity and both smudge onto my lower lash line to varying degrees depending on the day's conditions.

Between the two, I would only recommend Revlon's Colorstay Eye Liner and only to people with drier eyelids and/or doesn't mind completing a few extra steps to ensure it works well.

0 comments: