Abib Facial Soap - Black Brick

12:16:00 AM mandy 0 Comments

lavlilacs Abib Facial Soap - Black Brick Review

I wasn't even looking to buy cleanser at the Peach & Lily sample sale. One whiff of the bar soaps spread across the table and my mind was wavering...kind of refreshing, definitely light and fruity. I had never heard of the brand Abib before and bar soaps are very far down on the cleanser wishlist; who knew scent could be such a big trigger?

I have faint memories of asking the person manning the area which of the four types (black, grey, pink, and ivory) she recommended and was told she only tried the black one but liked it. There wasn't much of a description at the time in-person or on the website because they had yet to release the brand officially. Somehow, against my typical shopping habits, found Abib's Facial Soap in Black Brick in my basket and with me at home.

Abib describes itself as a brand "dedicated to perfection and purity" whether in their products or as tools to help one achieve said traits. They seem to focus heavily on high performing ingredients.

lavlilacs Abib Facial Soap - Black Brick packaging

Peach & Lily's description:

While minimalistic in its design, there's nothing basic about Abib's Facial Soap Black Brick. Chock full of charcoal, it provides a deep (yet gentle) cleanse eradicating dirt from pores and helping to curb excess sebum production. Hazelnut oil, lemongrass essential oil and witch hazel keep the soap balanced by helping to hydrate, purify, and calm skin. Unlike most soaps, Abib's Facial Soap Brick microfoams to better penetrate pores and helps keep skin healthy.

Directions
1. Unwrap soap.
2. Wet brick and gently work into a lather with your hands.
3. Massage foam over face, hands, and neck (careful to avoid eyes and mouth).
4. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
5. Follow with toner and the rest of your skincare routine.
6. Can be used both morning and evening.

Ingredients
Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Palmitate, Glycerine, Sorbitol, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Palmitic Acid, Gevuina Avellana Seed Oil, Canola Oil, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Peel Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Sapindus Trifoliatus Fruit Extract, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Hippophae Rhamnoides Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Apium Graveolens (Celery) Extract, Charcoal Powder, Castanea Crenata (Chestnut) Shell Powder, Fragrance

Soap 100g / 3.53 oz.

Abib (Korean retail): ₩18,000
Peach & Lily: USD $19.00
StyleKorean: USD $18.00

lavlilacs Abib Facial Soap - Black Brick opened

Packaging

Their packaging is minimalistic. Their products itself also look minimal, as in cleansers are plain blocks of soap and creams come in prescription like tubes and are colorant-free. The same cannot be said for their ingredients list but they try to make it appear so by printing only a carefully select few on the packaging itself. I don't have a major problem with it as long as the full ingredient list is available elsewhere.

All of Abib's Facial Soaps come in a small pouch made of a fibrous, thick paper. There isn't any helpful information on the packaging to describe how the Black Brick would be helpful for a particular skin concern. The ingredients list is super condensed and uses mainly scientific names.

lavlilacs Abib Facial Soap - Black Brick bare no packaging

lavlilacs Abib Facial Soap - Black Brick lather suds swatch

Color, Texture, & Scent

The bar of soap is completely black. The edges of the fresh soap are surprisingly more sharp-feeling than expected. It is smaller than an average body soap in length and width but taller by height. (There doesn't seem to be a big difference quantity-/weight-wise.) Abib's soap feels waxy to the touch and has a fruity scent. The smell can sometimes be overwhelming, especially on days I feel extra sensitive. It generally isn't a big issue for me. The facial soap doesn't create a lot of foam. I only get a smaller lather and a bit of suds when rubbing the bare soap against damp hands.

lavlilacs Abib Facial Soap - Black Brick foaming net lather swatch

How I Apply

I use the Black Brick in the PM only after removing my makeup/sunscreen with a cleansing balm or oil. I wet a foaming net and rub the Facial Soap back and forth a few times onto the net. Knead the net together to create foam (like in the above photo). Squeeze all the foam off the net and massage onto my face. Rinse off well with water.

Thoughts & Recommendations

Abib promises the Black Brick to cleanse and purify pores with the charcoal while calming with a bunch of other ingredients. I don't generally put much thought into these kinds of claims because I only need cleansers to remove excess makeup remover residue. With that said, I haven't noticed an improvement or worsening of my clogged pores and redness while using the cleanser either.

The Facial Soap is a nice basic cleanser. It does what a cleanser should do and isn't irritating to use. I did not get a squeaky clean feeling after rinsing nor did my face feel immediately dry. However, the waiting period between cleanser and toner is far shorter than other cleansers I have used in the past. My face starts to feel very parched if I don't apply something hydrating within a few minutes of cleansing. The soap also leaves an unpleasant sudsy/residue-like feel on my hands that I haven't experienced before with facial cleansers.

Bar-style soaps may not be for everyone. There is some maintenance with them in the sense that it should ideally be put away or covered between uses. The bars should also be rinsed and placed on something elevated to help with drying and avoid collection of excess water. I personally think bars work best with a foaming net as the lather without is insufficient.

I think this small bar of soap would last me just as long as a tube of cleanser would. Given the option though, I would not repurchase a bar soap (unless the price was right) purely because of the convenience of other types of cleansers (whether it be a stick, foaming, gel, etc.). I could leave those on the counter and not have to worry about bacteria. If given the option, I probably would not repurchase this particular soap because the residue-issue and how quickly my face starts to dry out. Abib Facial Soap - Black Brick may work better for those with oilier skin or those who don't wait around after cleansing before moving onto the rest of their routines.

0 comments: