ohii Mini Mascara - Black

12:33:00 AM mandy 0 Comments

lavlilacs ohii Mini Mascara Review

Asian lashes are usually described to be short, curl-less, and therefore stick straight. My own lashes definitely fit into that category and unfortunately am not the exception (unlike my male family members, ironically). Even though I can wish for long and lush eyelashes there is a limit to my dreams. Products like mascara and fake lashes can only do so much because I wear glasses every waking minute of the day and too much stuff would immediately be nothing but a bother. The ohii Mini Mascara is quickly changing my mind to see how nice the addition of define lashes could be without being a daily annoying chore.

lavlilacs ohii Mini Mascara packaging

Urban Outfitters's description:

Perk up your lashes with ohii’s mini mascara, perfectly formulated for daily use. Impactful, but still natural, this vegan mascara comes with a thin wand, perfect for catching even the teeniest lashes for a natural look. Leaves lashes dark and soft with no clumpy, spidery texture or messy fallout. Want a more dramatic look? Mini Mascara plays well with others - just wipe on a layer as a primer before following up with a volumizing formula.

- Plays well with others
- Darkening formula
- Non-clumping
- Vegan
- Cruelty-free, gluten-free, paraben-free, mineral oil-free, sulfate-free, phthalate-free

Directions
Apply to lashes on its own as a lightweight mascara or use as a primer for your favorite volumizing mascara

Ingredients
WATER/EAU/AQUA, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, IRON OXIDES (CI 77499), SYNTHETIC BEESWAX, ACRYLATES/ETHYLHEXYL ACRYLATE COPOLYMER, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX/CIRE DE CARNAUBA/CERA CARNAUBA, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, ACACIA SENEGAL GUM, GLYCERYL BEHENATE, PALMITIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, BEHENYL ALCOHOL, POLYVINYL ALCOHOL, GLYCERYL STEARATE SE, TROMETHAMINE, 1,2-HEXANEDIOL, SORBITAN STEARATE, POLYSORBATE 60, MONTMORILLONITE, NYLON-66, POTASSIUM SORBATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, LAURETH-21, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, SILICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), XANTHAN GUM, OCTYLACRYLAMIDE/ACRYLATES/BUTYLAMINOETHYL METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, MICROCRYSTALLINE CELLULOSE, PEG-240/HDI COPOLYMER BIS-DECYLTETRADECETH-20 ETHER, CETYL PALMITATE, SORBITAN OLIVATE, SORBITAN PALMITATE, POTASSIUM LAURATE, BHT

Mascara 3.2 ml / 0.11 oz

Urban Outfitters: USD $16.00

lavlilacs ohii Mini Mascara tube details

lavlilacs ohii Mini Mascara size reference

lavlilacs ohii Mini Mascara wand closeup

Packaging

The slim tube of mascara has a very bright coral-pink exterior. It is slightly shorter than the length of my hand and a little bigger in diameter than a Sharpie marker. The longer cap allows for a more comfortable grip. I like that the distance between the cap and wand is short, which gives more precise control.

Obviously, the most unique aspect is the super slim mascara wand. The bristle-y portion is about the length of the top part of my finger but it is only about half the size of a typical brush. It is a pretty simple and straightforward design yet works well with the mascara formula.

Color, Texture, Finish, & Scent

ohii Mini Mascara only offers a Black shade right now.

When I swatched the mascara on my hand, the formula is quite dry and not the deepest black mascara on the market. It applies onto my lashes on the drier side as well making it a quick step in the mornings even when layering. Interestingly, there is a sparse amount of fibers even though the brand doesn't mention it is lengthening. It has no added fragrance and generally unscented.

ohii doesn't market this as being water resistant or waterproof, but from my own "test" and experience it is slightly water resistant until rubbed and absolutely not waterproof. What I mean by this is that tears and running the mascara underwater will not cause the mascara to run down in black streaks. However, when the lashes with mascara are wet and subsequently rubbed or wiped the product will easily be removed.

lavlilacs Eohii Mini Mascara applied on lashes layers

lavlilacs Eohii Mini Mascara applied on lashes 11 hours later

How I Apply

Wiggle the mascara wand onto curled lashes. Layer twice if I feel like it.

Thoughts & Recommendations

Just to be clear...the ohii Mini Mascara is definitely not an affordable buy. It has half the amount of typical mascaras (drugstore and high-end), 0.11 oz versus 0.20's oz. At USD $16 it is double the price of typical drugstore mascaras. A closer comparison, size to price wise, would be the "mini" versions of full-sized high-end mascaras available at Sephora and Gift With Purchases.

With that said I have nothing but nice things to say about how the mascara performs. My natural, naked lashes don't have trouble holding a curl throughout the day. They are just so short and thin that even the curled lashes do not look drastically different.

ohii Mini Mascara adds the necessary definition without being heavy and clumpy. I think the light and dry formula really helps keep the curls up instead of gradually weighing down as the day goes on. Somehow ohii was able to make a dry mascara that is not crunchy. The small number of fibers lengthen a little without looking spidery and most importantly never leaves marks on my glasses lenses.

Besides the formulation, I really do think the skinnier wand does wonders for applying the mascara to my type of lashes. I can get to every nook and cranny easily. Each individual lash is defined because of packed yet evenly spaced out bristles.

My eyes never feel irritated when I use the mascara. It can last a long time if I don't cause physical disturbances (tears or rubbing). I also think it fairs pretty well against my oily eyelids. The mascara remains mostly intact after 12+ hours of wear. On bad days, there will be some stray fibers under my eyes. On super bad days, it will leave small flakes and smudges. Overall, I have more good (clean) days than not.

Call me crazy but I think this is the perfect natural, no-makeup makeup mascara for the polished and refined look. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone looking for obvious length and volume. You will be sorely disappointed. Perhaps it would be a good base as ohii suggests? Until I find something better and more affordable, I will probably repurchase in the future. However! I am keeping my fingers crossed because I noticed innisfree and few other Korean brands have similar skinny mascaras.

0 comments: